Friday, April 20, 2007

Finally, the day we've all been waiting for!!

First Red Sox-Yankees game of the year ought to be a national holiday or something. At least it's not a day game!! I gotta admit, I'm a little scared of Andy Petitte. He's doing very well this year. But Manny's bat is finally heating up and he's done well against Petitte in the past so maybe he'll start thinking "Why is A-Rod getting all the attention? It's not Alex Being Alex...it's Manny Being Manny!" and then he'll start BEING Manny again and hit a bunch of home runs! Yeah! Go Sox!

Edited - 4th Inning:

Jason Varitek is seriously the man. I mean, we're talking men want him, women want to BE him. No wait, that's not quite right. You know what I mean.

Edited - 5th Inning:

Okay, A-Rod is obviously on the juice. That's alright. I'd rather have Mr. October than Mr. April on my team, you know what I'm saying?

Edited - 8th Inning:

Ouch, Papi, that was a pretty clumsy attempt at a slide. Don't risk hurting yourself. Did anybody else get the feeling that the ESPN commentator had to stop himself from saying "Ortiz knows that Damon throws like a girl"?

Edited - Later in the 8th Inning:

Looooove the rally caps. Yes! I take back everything bad I ever said about Coco Crisp!

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Well, I have to say that in spite of the fact that we lost 2 games, I am happy with the way things are going. The Yankees are playing without Wang, Mussina, Pavano, Posada, Matsui.......and they are still completely in the games. They knocked around the Boston pitching (even gave Papelbon a little case of the nerves), when they get their own pitching back, it'll be a different game. And don't bother pointing out the blown save, we all know Rivera isn't effective against the Red Sox.
By the way Janey, I take exception to your comment about Damon. While I acknowledge that he doesn't have a strong arm, I'm not sure that Hannah and all the girls on the Morse Softball team would appreciate your comment that he "throws like a girl".
Big Papi runs and slides like an elephant. Sorry elephants!

Jane said...

Okay, I agree that the Yankees are staying competitive without some of their best players. And of course I mean NO disrespect to female athletes, I was simply pointing out that to me, it sounded like that was what the commentator was about to say and had to stop himself. *I* don't think that way (that poor throwers "throw like girls") but a lot of macho male ex-athlete commentators do think that way! That's what I was commenting on, I wasn't being a Johnny Damon hata - everyone knows how much I loved him when he was playing for the Sox.

I didn't see any lack of nerve displayed by Papelbon - he got the job done, perfect ERA still intact.

As for Rivera, I'll resist commenting on the blown save since as you said everyone (except apparently Joe Torre) knows he's not effective against the Sox anymore, but can I comment on his blown saves against OTHER teams?

Cindy said...

Since Rivera is generally regarded as one of the (if not the) best relievers ever by even the most seasoned experts, I can take it if you feel the need to make a negative comment about him....
With less than half of his 19(!)pitches strikes, Papelbon was not at his best last night. Period.
I didn't hear the commentator say anything about girls.
Still love you though!!!

Jane said...

There's no question that Mariano is one of the game's greats...but this season he's certainly not lived up to his legendary past performances. It's a new season - everyone starts with a zero ERA. And Papelbon still has his! I think it will be exciting to see how young Paps measures up to Rivera over the coming years.

Love you too!

Cindy said...

Speaking of ERAs, Matsusaka's went up to 4.00 tonight.
But in all fairness, I want to congratulate you on the 4 HRs. Looked like a homerun derby out there. Caitlin and I were in hysterics by the time it was over.
Following your logic about Schilling and the A-Rod homers, if a rookie gives up 4 homeruns in a row, only the first one counts, so the score was really 6-4 Yankees.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.