Friday, April 6, 2007

Aunt Jane, glad that you bring this up. In my humble existence as a human being I have visited several countries (3) in Central America. In that small period of time (about four weeks total in three different countries) I have been able to pick up Spanish pretty quickly and know enough to converse with the "locals." In the military you get $600 a month for being conversant in a language like Arabic, Japanese, or Chinese. You get a pat on the back if you are fluent in French, Spanish, German, etc. For these reasons I think I overlooked the fact that several of our prolific players speak the well known Spanish language. I would also liken it to the way that we speak. For instance, just the other day I learned how to get the variance of a data set on microsoft excel. I exclaimed, "Wow it makes life easy now that I know how to use excel." Really I knew how to use excel before I learned how to get the variance, but I still said that now I know how to use excel. I could have probably counted up every language that every player on the team speaks and said, "now that our team is sixlingual(sp???)" but that just wouldn't have been as effective.

In any event, I am glad about 1 thing here and have 2 complaints. The first complaint: I was looking for a lot of controversy and inner-family rivalry on this blog. More between the Yankee and Sox fans than people just calling me out on my mannerisms and figures of speech. Which brings me to my second complaint: can we not get more people on this blog? I thought we had like 50 people at thanksgiving dinner, so we have less than 10% of them in this blog...The one thing I am glad about, was that I was able to stir up some controversy and get us all to look more closely at our team and where they come from.

I think lastly, and most important was the win yesterday afternoon. I think that Dice-K is pretty legit and is already carving a special place for himself in my heart.

The prediction for today: we have the veteran Wakefield on the mound against the 2nd year Tejada. Humidity is around 60%. The Rangers have lost 3 straight. After 3 straight losses you'd think they are about due, but with favorable humidity for the vet I'd have to go with the Sox, 5-2.

2 comments:

Jane said...

We'll get more people on the blog, don't worry. Give it time. If you build it, they will come.

P.S. I'm not your aunt, you know.

Ajitator said...

I am very sorry that I assumed you were Aunt Jane when I saw Jane...my bad. However, you are an aunt, maybe I just wanted to remind you of that!